Jared Fogle, the former Subway pitchman who was convicted of child pornography and sex crimes against children, is still serving a 15-year prison sentence in Colorado.
Jared Fogle Pens a Prison Letter Expressing Remorse
In a 2021 letter obtained by the New York Post, Fogle expressed remorse for his crimes and said he wants to “redeem” his life. He wrote, “I really royally screwed up to wind up where I am. I was selfish and entitled.”
Jared Fogle Attacked by Inmate in Prison
Fogle was assaulted by a 60-year-old inmate, who reportedly said he “had to hit him” because he “can’t be around child molesters.” Fogle suffered facial bruising, a bloodied nose, and neck abrasions.
Subway Sued by Victim’s Parents
In 2020, the parents of one of Fogle’s victims sued Subway for $100 million, alleging that the company knew about Fogle’s pedophilic tendencies and failed to take action. The lawsuit is still ongoing.
New Documentary Explores Fogle’s Crimes
In March 2023, a new documentary about Fogle, titled “Jared From Subway,” was released on ID. The documentary explores Fogle’s rise to fame, his crimes, and his fall from grace.
Fogle’s Crimes a Reminder of the Importance of Child Protection
Fogle’s crimes are a reminder of the importance of child protection. Parents and guardians should talk to their children about sexual abuse and be aware of the signs that a child may be a victim.
Resources for Victims of Child Sexual Abuse
If you or someone you know is a victim of child sexual abuse, there are resources available to help. The National Sexual Assault Hotline can be reached at 800-656-4673. You can also get help online at RAINN’s website: https://www.rainn.org
How to Spot a Potential Child Predator
Child predators can be anyone, regardless of age, race, gender, or socioeconomic status. They often use grooming tactics to gain a child’s trust and make them feel comfortable. If you notice any of the following signs in an adult, it is important to report it to the authorities:
- The adult shows excessive interest in children, such as spending a lot of time with them or giving them gifts.
- The adult isolates children from their peers or family.
- The adult tries to touch children in an inappropriate way.
- The adult talks to children about sex or sexual activity.
How to Protect Your Children from Sexual Abuse
There are a number of things you can do to protect your children from sexual abuse:
- Talk to your children about sexual abuse and teach them what to do if they are ever touched or approached by someone in an inappropriate way.
- Be aware of the signs of sexual abuse.
- Monitor your children’s online activity and who they are communicating with.
- Teach your children to trust their gut and to speak up if they feel uncomfortable about something.
Working Together to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse
Child sexual abuse is a serious problem, but it is preventable. By working together, we can create a safer environment for our children.